Skip to main content

5 things you must know before going for law school interview.







Read these 5 tips if you want to excel your interview session!!

Hi everyone! I know it's been a while since last time I update this blog. Well, I was actually quite busy starting after I have graduated from foundation in law which was around last April. On last August, my schedule was packed with online meeting and training as I've been selected to be on of the camp facilitator under this one NGO. The camp was held virtually and I must say it was very challenging. Nevertheless, my team and I have done a very good job, you know we had a lot of meetings and a day before the camp, we slept at 3 a.m. in order to make sure everything was going to be smooth. To be very honest, it was a fruitful experience for me working with this NGO as to ensure to fight for education inequality. Then fast forward, I prepared myself and all of the documents to enter law school. So, do you want to know which law school offered me a place in their law school? Read what I am about to write below.

To start a story, when I was applying for law school. I did apply for 3 law schools and those three schools are located in Selangor. This is because I prefer to study in somewhere around my home which is in Selangor. Surprisingly, I got all those 3 offers for me to proceed for online interview. The three schools I applied were UKM law school, UiTM law school and UM law school (in sequence from 1st choice to 3rd choice). Some of my friends did not get all the three offers and some got 2 offers. If you are asking me why I got three offers for interview session, I must say it would be rezki and luck. However, I chose not to post about this at first place because it was mere the offers, right? 




WHAT ARE THE 5 THINGS YOU MUST KNOW BEFORE GOING FOR LAW SCHOOL INTERVIEW?

1. Know your why(s)

- I think it's vital for you to know your whys first before you proceed to do something. Alright, let me give you a clear example. You are now probably in your last semester in foundation in law, so you have the thought of furthering your degree in law school. So, why you decide to further your studies in legal field? Who knows you might be better at designing or business? From these question, your answers might be derived. In my case, I decide to further my studies in law school because firstly I have no interest in numbers. I mean I can do maths or any calculations, even scored A for economics but I do not have deep passion for that course. Secondly, I love to think and read a lot, doing research too! My lecturer said that if you have decided to study law, you should not have any issues with reading because you have to read all. Plus, I enjoy doing things related to law. For your information, despite being a full time law student, I am also an activist who voice out any issues. 

- Then, another question will be "why do choose this/that particular law school?". Please, do some research about the law school that you wish to go to. Why UITM or UKM or UUM? To be frank, I started doing my research about the law school before I went for my final exam in asasi. If possible, ask your seniors why the law school they are studying in is considered good. In my personal opinion, do not go for a particular law school just because it is considered the best or your friends said it is famous. Do not blindly apply if you do not do advance research. Check the background of each law school you want to apply. Just because others say it's the best, doesn't mean it's best for you too. You are going for your degree journey and law degree takes you 4 years to graduate. Think wisely, people. Go to their law website and search for their academic achievements, the activities and etc. Also, look at how the university takes care of students welfare. I am very particular about this because I want to spend my 4 years in a very comfortable environment. Google where the school is located at. If you are asking me, tbh I applied all for the 12 choices universities in KL and Selangor. I mean cmon people, we are now living in uncertainties especially in this pandemic covid 19. It's not that I suggest you to not get out of your comfort zone, do it as you want. But take all the factors as in considerations too.

2. Requirements to enter law school

- Alright, this one is important too. Before you decide which law school, know the requirements set by the law faculty of each school that you are going to apply. Again, google this. To make it simple, make sure you obtain band 4 and above for your MUET. No exception because even if you want to apply directly to their website, if you do not meet the requirements then you are not qualified. I'm not trying to scare you because this is the reality. Do not take your ELC sem 1 for granted because it teaches you how to ace your MUET. For the minimum pointer, I must say it is safe for you to get 3.50 and above for you to apply through UPU. I'm not really sure with the procedure and requirements for UITM law student since I was a kptm law student. Even if you are from matriks and you did study science or maths before but you wish to enter law school, make sure to get 3.50 and above. Yes, you might see that for some law schools they require only 3.00 and above but trust me, get higher. This is because you are going to compete during the interview. Giving you an example, student A and student B are both called for interview session. Student A obtained CGPA 3.80 while student B obtained CGPA 3.20, so both are doing well during interview but since the quota for the law faculty on this year is very limited, then the law faculty must prioritize who's the best. It must be student A. Also, fyi if you wish to enter UITM law school, you must obtain 3.75 and above and excel your interview session. UITM has specific spot for UITM law students hence again, compete and do your best.

3. Knowledge about legal studies

- Law students are expected to equip themselves with legal knowledge. Do not merely study just to pass the exam even if you wish to not go for law school. Look, you are going to a law school interview session so what do you expect the panel will ask? Where are you staying or how old are you? No honey, they have the data already. What they are going to do is to test your legal knowledge. Familiarize yourself with Federal Constitution. I do not force you to read and memorize all the articles there but at least you must well digested about the fundamental liberties (Article 5 to Article 13). Know what Article 3 is all about or maybe how are you going to relate Article 3 with Article 11. What Lina Joy case or Meor Atiqulrahman judgments you can relate or talk about. Furthermore, you must prepare yourself with other area of laws like contracts law (must read together with Contracts Act 1950) and law of torts. Not only that, current issues are what you need to know too in order to pass any possible questions from the panel. If you are not good enough with connecting ideas, I suggest you not to take any international issues and go for local issues. I mean, it's good enough that you aware with what's happening around the globe but you must understand that panels want to see how you tackle and relate the issues you are talking about with their questions. If you are not familiar enough with case like BLACKLIVESMATTER for example, simply choose other issues. Local issues are easy to understand and you are familiar with it already. Maybe you can go for issues like police kicks the grab rider for not listening to the order and from there you figure one thing that you may relate. Maybe you can get ideas from law of torts and maybe the case of Bird v Jones might help (this is mere possibilities, not a direct answer).

- Okay, let's say you are not a law student and you know nothing about law. Then, do your research and ask your friends who study law. Asking for help is not a bad thing per se. Sometimes, even law student can't pass the interview because they are not prepared and think they know everything. So, you use this chance to do your best because it's not impossible for a non law student to get place in law school. Some of my batchmates were science and tesl students. But, you see now they are having in the same level as other law school. Just remember this, your passion will work parallel with your efforts.

4. Preparations before interview session 

- Study and study. No other way to pass the interview if you are not well-prepared. (Unless lucky takes place?) So basically just read all the notes during your asasi and remember all the landmark cases. In my case, since this year we were having online interview, therefore the procedure were different for each law schools. For UKM, I was only required to write an essay and record a video of me speaking one in BM and one in English. UKM has provided the topics and I just have to do some research to complete the tasks then submit to them. For UITM, I have to record a video of me talking about current issues that related to law. Then, I have to go for virtual interview where there were 3 panels during my session. For UM, I have to go for online interview but more like a mooting. UM provided me a situation and I have to handle the case using law. In my case, I was given a position as a defense counsel for a criminal so meaning to say, my area of law would be criminal law. 

- Also, on the side note I would like to remind you to stay calm because if you are so stressed and panic all the way, you'll get stuck. Just act normal and smile a lot. If you think the question given is difficult, answer it nicely "this is a tough question, however I will try my best to answer..." Because you are a law student so no matter what, try your best to explain your answer. End it with "that's what I can conclude but panels, I stand to be corrected". It shows your manner and willingness to learn more. After all, being a law student is not about being a perfectionist but more to one who will not give up. Oh don't forget to smile even though panels are trying to provoke you with questions out of your knowledge.
Remember, even lawyers in court are sometimes getting scolded by the judge. But, keep it easy and calm. Be professional.

5. Post interview session

- What you must do after interview session? Prepare your mental for the upcoming result, people! Seriously waiting for a result is a nerve-wracking moment. Any possibilities can happen. In my case, I didn't get my first choice but I never sad about that though. Instead, I was very grateful for still being able to do law because some of my friends didn't get the chance at all. Then, I know why this happened and I believed with what God has written for me. Getting into UITM law school was actually very unexpected because I didn't believe myself to be able to compete for place with other UITM law students. But when I get the offer, I was very happy. Most of the lawyers I know suggest UITM law school. But no pressure, you may go for other law school as well. Even though a lot of people saying UITM isn't compatible with other prestigious universities, just know that UITM law school is the best law school in Malaysia. Mock trial titled Jibril is the product from UITM law school. UITM itself might not be in the list of top 40 because it doesn't provide best research center (if I'm not mistaken). Unlike UKM and UM or IIUM, they are very good in terms of research. However, it doesn't matter which law school you are studying at, what matters the most is how you carry yourself. Don't listen to others because it's you who are going for the test. 

- I will also like to add one more thing which is it's okay to celebrate your result on social media but make sure your intention is correct. Do not show off, okay? There will be your friends who are sad for not being able to secure place in law school, so give them moral supports and pray the best for them. Take care of each other. 

===
That's it for this quick update from me. Do not hesitate to ask me any questions if you are curious about something. I'd love to help you. Stay safe everyone! <3








Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm glad to know my tips are useful for you! I wish and pray the best for you! Hopefully, we can meet in court one day hahaha who knows!

      Good luck for your upcoming journey!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for the tips! I really need it. For further question, where can i contact you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I feel so happy to know the tips help you in some ways! You may contact me through email or LinkedIn. Provided that you need me to help you for degree studies, we can have further discussion later.

      email: shykin.hilmy01@gmail.com

      LinkedIn: Asshykin Hilmy

      Delete
  3. Hi sis 😃for asasi law uitm dengkil ada iv ke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!

      last time takde iv untuk kemasukan asasi law uitm dengkil

      Delete
  4. Oh that's mean ...even dh ambil asasi still Akan ada interview untuk sambung degree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In asasi, you'll be learning only basic things. While for law degree, it is another chapter of law school, hence why students ada iv session untuk nak tgk betul ke you faham basic law. Kalau kata basic law you tak faham, panel akan consider you are not good enough mcm tu. Also, your sijil asasi tak boleh guna untuk practice sebagai lawyer. Dah habis law degree and habis chambering semua etc, baru boleh practice.

      Delete
  5. Hello sis ikin...
    Klu kite ambil law tak semestinya jadi lawyer kan??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes tak semestinya jadi lawyer je. Banyak lagi cabang kerja kita boleh pilih dgn law degree ni.

      Delete
  6. Is it really possible for Asasi Sains students to pursue degree in law? especially when you have no basic knowledge whatsoever, and needing to compete with students from matrikulasi, stpm and even asasi law students themselves :( pointer kena tinggi ke?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      Yup it's possible it you pass the law school requirements for Asasi Sains. Requirements for diploma, matrik, asasi law, and asasing science or tesl are different.

      Even if you don't have basic legal knowledge, if you study really hard before the iv session, it may be helpful for you. For pointer, it's better to have excellent pointer. But good CGPA per se won't guarantee your place in law school unless you ace the iv session and the tasks given. Hope my explanation is clear :))

      Delete
  7. hi there,, i've read through your blog for law iv and is it possible for me as a asasi tesl student to pursue my degree in law? i read the requirements for asasi tesl but for the iv, i have no basic knowledge and kena compete with law student,stpm and so on.. and macam mana nak study law if i don't have hv any material or knowledge hm :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!

      Yup boleh je sambung degree law. For iv session, nanti you akan diberi tugasan untuk buat apa. But most importantly equip yourself with current issues. Utk law, you boleh je google mcm Constitutional law in Malaysia/ elements of contract law/ elements of tort law. Nnti akan keluar and just read up.

      Or if you want my notes, kindly drop me a message to me via email. I'll pass it to you.

      shykin.hilmy01@gmail.com

      Delete
  8. Hi, nak tanya berkenaan interview untuk masuk law school. Boleh ke bagi tips dan cara jawab? Sebab saya dari matriks dan saya tak tau apa-apa tentang law school before this dan saya apply law untuk degree bulan 9 nanti.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ASASI LAW SUSAH? BETUL KE?

BELAJAR ASASI LAW SUSAH? ASASI UNDANG-UNDANG UITM DENGKIL (SEM 1)    Hi everyone! This is my first entry and this post is going to be both in English and Bahasa Melayu. I am currently studying law in Uitm Dengkil untuk sesi 2019/2020. Basically, Uitm Dengkil ialah pusat asasi which means hanya ada program asasi sahaja dekat situ. Ada 4 program asasi which are Law, Tesl, Science and Engineering. Untuk adik2 yang ada impian untuk sambung asasi law dekat uitm dengkil, wajib baca post ni sampai habis. Okay, kehidupan dekat Dengkil ni memang betul best. Macam saya yang bukan dari sekolah asrama, dekat sini memang belajar banyak benda. Banyak benda tu include sekali physical and mental sepanjang berada dekat dengkil. Kalau nak cakap belajar law ni susah, ada ke course yang senang? Memang takde. Every course has its own "hell thingy" and only student course tu je tahu struggle dia. Well, we all know that those who are enrolling their studies in foundation, they

UITM SHAH ALAM LAW SCHOOL 2021 (LL.B (hons.))

LAW SCHOOL (ODL): MY EXPERIENCE DURING SEMESTER 1 Hi lovely people! I know it has been a while since I last update my blog. It is not that I don't want to write and share, it just that I couldn't find any suitable free time to write. But, I do have some times to update my blog! Oh btw, latest update is that I'm currently in my second semester while juggling with some events in an NGO as the social media manager, be a mentor to 5 mentees in Buddy Mentor Program (whereby I have to guide the non-asasi law students who being offered LL.B), and I was appointed to be the head of Multimedia and Technical under LAWSOCUITM for our upcoming events. Not gonna lie, my degree life takes my leisure times hahahaha. Too much commitment but alhamdulillah I am still doing fine. If you read my previous posts, you'll know that I am an active person.  Okay, in this post, I'd like to share with you my experience going through ODL for my law degree (Semester 1). IT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, I